2011년 3월 24일 목요일

Personal Essay

                                 Starry Night in Sierra Leone


A “moron”. That’s how a student described Vincent Van Gogh.

           Last winter vocation, I went to Sierra Leone, the poorest country on the Earth. Sierra Leone is located at West Africa, near Ivory Coast (Côte d'Ivoire). Unlike African countries in Ivory Coast, who are comparatively rich due to its abundant natural resources and tourist attractions, Sierra Leone has nothing but the blood diamond. What motivated me to go to Sierra Leone first was not the humanitarian affection, rather, it was curiosity. I had been to North America when I was young, but I have never been to Africa nor have I ever even thought of going to Africa. Thus, for me, Africa was the land of adventure. Illusions of Safaris and infinite land horizon attracted me like an invitation from the Wonderland. Still, numerous television shows and news articles about its despair, brutality, and famish alerted me. Yet, going to Africa, especially Sierra Leone, for volunteering was once-in-a-lifetime experience that I could hardly get another chance. Then, I decided my mind to go to Africa, a gigantic land filled with hope and misery, with 7 other people (6 KMLA students and one parent as a guardian).

           On the first day of arrival, after more than 24 hours of flying, I saw the television screen. I saw what those television shows were broadcasting: not well paved road, people (including youngsters) selling stuff (mostly food) on the road, buildings made of mud, and black people with worn clothes. Those were the first things that I saw. Soon after, I found out that the country neither have waterworks nor power plants. Growing up in the country with optic LAN installed in every part of the country, this country seemed to live the world 50 years slower than rest of the world.

           On the next day morning, we headed to Korean Protestant Missionary (KPM) secondary school to do our volunteering. Before we came to Sierra Leone, the principal of the school had asked us to teach them art and music classes because student of this school do not have those classes in their regular schedule. Thus, we had prepared to teach students introduction to famous artists, drawing class, introduction to famous musicians, recorder lesson, and a lecture about Korea’s development from 1960s to now.
           A funny thing about the classes was that in a class of grade 8, there are students from fifteen to near twenty. This was due to the test students have to take every year to move up to the next grade. Students in this country are really busy. They have to help housework and help commerce. Even the school closes after 1 p.m. because students have to go. As a result, many students have no time to study, which then leads to failure to pass the test.
           We had originally planned to visit middle-school students only; however, because high school students had asked us to give a lesson to them too, we changed our plan and went to high school classes on the last day. Unlike secondary school students, their sight was sharp and the atmosphere was studious. I was to give the introduction to artist. It was in the first class that the “situation” happened. I was introducing Vincent Van Gogh to the class. I told them that Van Gogh killed himself after long despair of being unknown artist. This was not a problem. However, as I told them that his younger brother had supported him economically, so that Van Gogh could continue his career, one of the students showed a little grievance.
           He said “I have brothers and sisters. I work hard and study hard to support and to be able to support them. I never thought my life is pathetic though. Or had I ever considered about committing suicide. That person, Mr. Van Gogh, he’s a moron. He was just too weak to endure his own agony.”
           At the moment, I was paralyzed. Vincent Van Gogh was my favorite artist whom I liked from very young age. Whenever I had art works to do, the first thing I considered was parody of his work. Trying to portrait the essence of The Starry Night or Cafe Terrace at Night, I sympathized with his feelings. I understood his agony. Nevertheless, after hearing the student’s words, my world broke down. What I had believed all seemed like a fake. I did not understand Van Gogh; rather, it was pretence full of arrogance. I was just a copy-cat imitating what other prominent people said, never giving out my own opinion.
           Then, there came the second thought: there is a hope in this country. Youngsters of this country are working hard. Before, I could only see poor people that we have to help, but after, I saw equally hard-working people who are trying to develop their country, like our grandparents have done. At the moment, I took a glimpse of the students in the class. Their eyes were all shining like a diamond.

           After the day ended, I could not go to sleep easily. Hence, I went outside, to watch the sky. The sky of Africa was full of stars; the number that I have never seen or will see in South Korea. At last, my thoughts got adjusted. Africa was not a land of desperation. Instead, it was the land of hope, not yet pioneered.

댓글 4개:

  1. Sierra Leone is located IN (at) West Africa, near THE Ivory Coast (Côte d'Ivoire). Unlike African countries ON THE (in) Ivory Coast, who are comparatively rich due to (DELETE its) abundant natural resources and tourist attractions, Sierra Leone has nothing but the blood diamond. What motivated me to go to Sierra Leone first was not (DELETE the) humanitarian affection(;) rather, it was curiosity.

    REWORD:
    I had been to North America when I was young, but I have never been to Africa nor have I ever even thought of going to Africa.

    CONSIDER: Other than North America, my travel experience was limited, and I'd never considered visiting Africa.

    Thus, for me, Africa was the land of adventure. Illusions of safaris and infinite land horizonS attracted me like an invitation TO ENTER (DELETE from the) Wonderland. Still, numerous television shows and news articles about its despair, brutality, and famish alerted me. Yet, going to Africa, especially Sierra Leone, for volunteering was A once-in-a-lifetime experience that WOULD NOT PRESENT ITSELF AGAIN (DELETE I could hardly get another chance). THEREFORE (DELETE Then), I decided (DELETE my mind) to JOURNEY (DELETE go to Africa) TO a gigantic land filled with hope and misery with 7 other people (6 KMLA students and one parent as a guardian).

    I saw what those television shows were broadcasting: UNPAVED ROADS OCCUPIED BY BLACK PEOPLE OF ALL AGES IN WORN CLOTHES, SELLING BASIC NEEDS AMIDST CRUDE BUILDINGS MADE OF MUD AND SCRAPS OF WOOD. (DELETE not well paved road, people (including youngsters) selling stuff (mostly food) on the road, buildings made of mud, and black people with worn clothes.)

    Soon after, I found out that the country HAD neither PROPER waterworks nor power plants. Growing up in A country with optic LAN CABLES installed EVERYWHERE (DELETE in every part of the country), this country seemed to live in A world 50 years IN THE PAST. (DELETE slower than rest of the world.)

    (DELETE On the next day morning,) THE NEXT MORNING, we headed to THE Korean Protestant Missionary (KPM) Secondary School to do our volunteering. Before we came to Sierra Leone, the principal of the school had asked us to teach them art and music classes(,) because student(S) of this school do not have those classes in their regular schedule. Thus, we had prepared AN (DELETE to teach students) introduction to famous artists AND MUSICIANS, A drawing class, (DELETE introduction to famous musicians,) A recorder lesson, and a lecture about Korea’s development from THE 1960s UNTIL now.
    A funny thing about the classes was that in a class of grade 8, there are students from fifteen YEARS OF AGE to nearLY twenty.

    답글삭제
  2. They have to help WITH housework and (DELETE help) commerce. (DELETE Even) The school(S) EVEN close after 1 p.m. because students have to go. As a result, (DELETE many students) THEY have no time to study, which CAUSES THEM TO FAIL THE GRADE TESTS. (DELETE then leads to failure to pass the test.)

    It was in the first class that the “situation” happened. (NEW PARAGRAPH)

    I was introducing Vincent Van Gogh. (DELETE to the class.) I told them that Van Gogh killed himself after long despair of being AN unknown artist. This was not a problem. However, as I told them that his younger brother had supported him economically, so that Van Gogh could continue his career, one of the students showed a little grievance.
    He said “I have brothers and sisters. I work hard and study hard to support and to be able to support them. I never thought my life is pathetic though. NOR (DELETE Or) had I ever considered (DELETE about) committing suicide. That person, Mr. Van Gogh, he’s a moron. He was just too weak to endure his own agony.”
    At the moment, I was paralyzed. Vincent Van Gogh was my favorite artist(,) whom I HAD liked from very young age. Whenever I CREATE ARTWORK (DELETE works to do), the first thing I consider(ed) IS (DELETE parody) EMULATING his work. Trying to CAPTURE (DELETE portrait) the essence of (")The Starry Night(") or (")Cafe Terrace at Night("), I sympathize with his feelings. I underSTAND his agony.
    (NEW PARAGRAPH)
    Nevertheless, after hearing the student’s words, my world ABRUPTLY STOPPED TURNING (DELETE broke down). What I had believed all SUDDENLY seemed (DELETE like a) fake. I did not understand Van Gogh; rather, it was PRETENSE full of arrogance. I was just a copy-cat imitating what other prominent people said, never VOICING (DELETE giving out) my own opinion.
    Then, there came the second thought: there is a hope in this country. Youngsters HERE (DELETE of this country) are working hard. Before, I could only see poor people that we SHOULD (DELETE have to) help(;) but after (AFTER WHAT? ADD SOMETHING), I saw equally hard-working people who are trying to develop their country, like our grandparents have done. At THAT (DELETE the) moment, I took a glimpse of the students in the class. Their eyes were all shining like (DELETE a) diamond(S).

    After the day ended, I could not go to sleep easily, SO (DELETE Hence,) I went outside, to watch the sky. The sky of Africa was full of stars; the number that I have never seen or will EVER see in South Korea. At last, my thoughts (DELETE got) adjusted. Africa was not a land of desperation. Instead, it was the land of hope, not yet pioneered.

    답글삭제
  3. Excellent excellent essay. I really enjoyed reading this and you had me from start to finish. Good descriptive writing, and I didn't find it "preachy" or "trying too hard" as many cliche essays in this genre often become. It's honest, and the Van Gogh thread works well.

    I actually think you can strengthen the Van Gogh theme a little bit. You start with it, might as well finish with it at the end. The "starry sky" could easily connect to his starry paintings. Something like "Was Van Gogh a moron? I laughed to myself with a mix of bemusement and sadness. In any case, the starry sky of Africa outshone those in his paintings. This was not a land of desperation. This was a land of hope."

    I like your ending, but I'm not sure about "not yet pioneered." Kind of a weak ending considering the great build up. I don't think you need it, and the meaning of it is vague at best. Not yet pioneered? What does that really mean? It's a bit distracting.

    All in all, this is definitely "college essay material." Hang on to it.

    You write really well - but to improve avoid restating things repeatedly - especially the subject of the sentence. Leaner sentences that get to the point sooner. That's your goal. Cut down on the word count.

    답글삭제
  4. Wonderful pictures to :) Nice to see some originals.

    답글삭제